Complete, Comprehensive Home Inspections
Davis Home Inspections provides comprehensive home inspection services for all of our clients. We are happy to work with buyers, sellers, or anyone else who needs a fair and experienced eye to go over the condition of their property. We know that if you're buying a home, you want a complete, thorough, and detailed report on the condition of the building you're considering. We strive to give you as detailed a report as possible and make sure that you know everything you need to know before you buy.
Davis Home Inspections is based out of Richmond, Kentucky and we are happy to serve Lexington and any of the surrounding cities and counties. We are glad to travel to you, wherever you are in Central Kentucky.
We follow the National Association of Home Inspectors standards of practice. Our standard inspection includes the building under consideration, the building perimeter, land grade, and water drainage directly adjacent to the foundation. We also look at any trees and vegetation that could harm the building, as well as walks, grade steps, driveways, patios, and retaining walls.
What We Inspect
- Roof - We will tell you what condition the roof is in, if the shingles are secure, the flashing is intact, if there are any trouble spots, leaks, or areas that need repair. We inspect and describe the condition of the roof, the guttering and downspout systems, any skylights, and any other visible roof accessories.
- Siding - We make sure that siding and the home exterior are in good condition. We record if the siding is loose, cracked, broken, or if there are missing portions, holes, or other damage.
- Chimneys and Fireplaces -If the home you're looking at has chimneys or fireplaces, we will inspect the visible exterior portions of the chimneys. We'll let you know if the chimneys and fireplaces are structurally sound, if there are cracked or missing bricks, and if the mortar is in good condition.
- Windows and Doors - Windows and doors are some of the most common points for water to enter the house, and for energy to escape. We inspect the seals and condition of the windows and doors, looking for cracks, damage, and decay.
- Electrical Systems - We go over the house's electrical systems, evaluating the condition of the primary service from the masthead to the main panel, sub-panels and feeders, and any branch circuits, connected devices, or fixtures. We describe the type, location, and condition of your primary circuit voltage, amperage, and fuses or breakers. We look for the presence and condition of over-current protection devices. We report the presence of any aluminum wiring. We check for proper grounding. If the building has ground fault circuit interrupters, we make sure they're working. We take special care to look for poorly or improperly done wiring or circuit conductors that could present a hazard.
- Heating System - We inspect the heating equipment, fuel source, distribution, controls, flues, pipes, chimneys and ventilation. We check to make sure that the heating system is safe and operational.
- Cooling System - We insect the cooling equipment, distribution, and operating controls. We will report on the type of cooling system, its fuel source, and the general condition of the unit. We will operate the controls to make sure the system is functional. We will report on the presence and condition of cooling outlets in each room in the house.
- Plumbing - We inspect any visible water supply lines, waste and solid vent lines, fixtures and faucets, and the hot water system and its fuel source. We'll describe the material and condition of the main water line and supply lines, verify the presence of a main water supply valve, describe the material and condition of the waste piping, operate the faucets and fixtures, and inspect and operate the hot water system. We test the water supply for functional flow, and test lines from sinks, tubs, and showers for functional drainage.
- Attached Garages and Carports - We inspect the interior and exterior walls, ceilings, floors, windows, doors, roof, and foundation of any attached garages and carports. We verify the function of any electrical, plumbings, heating, cooling, or similar systems in the attachment. We verify the functionality of any garage doors.
- Interior - Our interior inspection includes walls, ceilings, floors, steps, stairways, balconies, railings, and electrical outlets and fixtures. We check the condition of the interior and look for evidence of water penetration, rot, or other damage. We report on the condition of the steps, stairways, and railings. We judge the condition of kitchen cabinets and countertops. We check for the presence of smoke detectors. We inspect for the presence and condition of electrical outlets, fixtures, and wiring in each room.
- Foundation - We inspect the foundations, crawlspaces or basements, ventilation and vapor barriers. We inspect the slab or flooring to make sure it's in good condition. If there's a sump pump in the basement, we make sure it's in good working order. We assess the condition of the supporting structure for the building, and see if there is any visible cracking or decay in the foundation structure.
- Attic - We inspect the visible attic insulation, giving you a description of the presence and depth of the insulation material. We look for any signs of water leaking into the attic. We cover any visible portion of the attic and the roof structure accessible from within the home.